Friday, June 19

Friday Favorites

In the spirit of summer and gardening and eating fresh produce, we found this opener to a non-fiction book, "Eat Local for Less" by Julie Castillo, quite the catchy hook:

Do you eat?" This was how my husband's Uncle Nick welcomed me into his house the first time I met him -- his standard words of salutation, I learned later, usually followed by, "Do you like meat? 'Cause that's all we got here."

Coming from a meat and potato kind of family, where my grandfather was forever buying creme horns, donuts, bread, and ice cream for all the grandchildren and Thanksgivings consisted of a dozen different casseroles, turkey and ham, and of course, potatoes of all kinds cooked in all manners, I instantly related to this first paragraph. Having met Julie Castillo at a book festival, her kindness and genuine passion for local food is what hooked me first. But then I read the first page of her book, and didn't stop reading.

Hooks happen in any form of writing, even non-fiction!

1 comment:

  1. OMGosh! This brings back memories. My husband was an Italian from Boston. When I first met his family, his father piled loads of lasagna on my plate. I was very shy back then so just tried to eat it all rather than refuse.

    ReplyDelete