Tuesday, June 16

To Shock the Reader or Not

Is it overkill to begin your story with a first sentence that shocks the reader?
Here's a taste of three anticlimax openings:

She drugged her professor then took back her essay.

The man killed the boy's dog, leaving it on the driveway for the children selling lemonade to see.

Sure the kiss was tainted with poison but she'd rather die than let him live.

I think these first sentences show the most important thing coming first, followed by something less important, but is it too shocking for the reader?
Does it feel like the author is trying to force it too much? Or would you keep reading?

6 comments:

  1. I would keep reading because each sentence makes me ask the all important Why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I would definitely keep reading. I love to feel that I'm being brought right into the action at the beginning.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would keep reading. And I think these sentences are effective because when you use anti-climactic sentences you surprise us and that creates interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would keep reading. And I think these sentences are effective because when you use anti-climactic sentences you surprise us and that creates interest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They were fun to write! What a great idea you gave us in your course, Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that the sentences are packed full of insight into the plot. You know little about the circumstances or the character other then a deed that has been done. It perks your interest to find out more about what's about to come. And although your examples are in the realm of darkness, I think they would be just as effective if a more positive spin were to take place.

    ReplyDelete