Monday, June 8

Monday: Hooked on Hooks Critique

Every Monday we will host a writer brave enough to share with us a hook of their own! Be it a first sentence or a first paragraph, the opening will be their own writing. Readers can chime in with their own critique of the hook in the comments below.

Writers please email us at thegoodhook(at)yahoo(dot)com with your submission and we will notify you what Monday it will be posted!

Since this blog is still in its infancy stage, we'll start with one of our own:

"A Fire to a Face" by Kimberly Zook


My previous brain expired at the age of 10. Before that, life was all hotdogs and slingshots. Sex was irrelevant. At summer camp, we joked about the names of our Pennsylvania towns without grasping their meaning. Blue Ball and Bird-in-Hand got you absolutely nowhere. Intercourse led to Paradise, whatever that meant. But bodies, bodies! Those tender carousels of hormones, those were relevant. We maintained a constant three foot radius from the bodies of female campers. Oh, the horror of K-I-S-S-I-N-G taunts scattered among the pellets of tar on the track as we hurdled over them with a singular, all-consuming fear: Exactly how many holes did a girl have between her legs?
What works? What doesn't?
Please share your thoughts in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. It comes together much better than the book I'm trying to get into right now. I think the only thing that doesn't feel right to me is "... scattered among the pellets of tar on the track ..." Campers made me think we were in tents. The ending of this blurb cracked me up! {giggle; snort}. :) Just to clarify, I'm not a writer, but I am a reader and a reviewer.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete